Monday, December 1, 2008

I saw God today

I love music. It clears my mind of clutter and provides an escape whenever I need it. I rarely pay attention to song lyrics; the music is simply there to overpower my racing thoughts. However, I recently discovered two songs that I absolutely LOVE: (1) You're Gonna Miss This by Trace Adkins and (2) I Saw God Today by George Strait. If you haven’t heard these yet, take a minute to go listen.

These songs remind me to take a step back and recognize the blessings I’ve been given in life. It’s so easy to get caught up in the day-to-day routine and forget to give thanks for everything around us. How often do you hear people say things like, “I’ll be so much happier once I…” or “I can’t wait until…” The chorus to Trace Adkins’ song responds to this mentality:

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

It’s so true! I’m often guilty of thinking, “tomorrow will be so much better,” and I forget to just pause and enjoy today. Do we ever really appreciate life while we live it? Or are we constantly wishing for more, ignoring the small miracles that occur every day? In George Strait’s song, he talks about how God’s fingerprints are everywhere; we just need to slow down and look for them. He sings about seeing a flower growing in the middle of the sidewalk, seemingly planted there just for him to see. The noises of the world around him are suddenly silenced by this small miracle, and he realizes he has seen the hand of God. I love the simplicity of this song and the writer’s recognition of God’s hand in all things. Those four words are so profound to me: I saw God today.

We have so many reasons to rejoice each day. I hope we’ll all learn to slow down and appreciate life in the moment. Look for “God’s fingerprints” in your daily life; I know you will find them.

In what ways did you see God today?

6 comments:

Chrissy said...

I remember you made a comment in Sunday School and I'm 90% sure you brought up the song "You're Gonna Miss This" and I remember thinking... I love that song and I'm so glad Bex does too. :)

Zach O. said...

i happen to really enjoy both of these songs...well said.

Rebex said...

Thanks for your comments guys. It really makes my day. :)

Chrissy, you have a good memory. I did bring up this song in RS; I had just heard it that week, and I haven't stopped thinking about it since.

Jason and Shannon Ewing said...

Hey Becca,

Good to hear from you. Yes, we love Blogger here too....obssesive I might say!! Hope all is well. i heard you might be moving....what's up?

Stillman and Michelle said...

Hey I just found your new blog! It's cute!

katieg said...

I love those two songs too! They are beautiful and I really take time out when I hear them. Such an astute observation.