Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I could never be a teacher

These past two weeks have been a bit hectic. I’ve been writing papers, studying for finals, trying to find a place to live, and training my replacement at work. I turned in the paper last week, and I’ll take my last final tonight (hooray!). I also found a fantastic place to live and got it for a fraction of the price most of the tenants are paying. Life is good. The only thing I haven’t quite enjoyed is training this new person. She’s a sweetheart, but…well…let’s just say it’s been a patience-building exercise for me. It takes every ounce of self-control I have to not reach over and yank the keyboard from her hands and do it myself. I’m sick of repeating the same thing over and over again, only to be asked about it five minutes later. I just can’t comprehend why it’s so difficult to grasp; my job is really not that complicated, especially for someone that supposedly has the required experience. I guess one month of training really wasn’t that far-fetched after all. I’m now beginning to think it won’t be enough time. She keeps saying “I should get your cell number in case I need help.” In my head I’m thinking, “Honey, if a month of training doesn’t cut it, there’s really no hope for you.” And “H no, I’m not giving you my number!” She started last Monday, so I still have another 3-1/2 weeks of this. My only consolation is that two of the weeks are broken up by holidays; I’ve never been happier for Christmas! Oh, and to make matters worse, she’s been sick this whole time and has been coughing all over the place. Yuck! Right now she’s only working afternoons, so every morning when I come into work, I take out my handy dandy Lysol sanitizing wipes and give my desk a complete scrub down. I just now used my last one to wipe down all my pens and pencils. Guess I better run to Wal-Mart before I come in tomorrow. The countdown is on!

5 comments:

Chrissy said...

You make one H of a teacher, there Bex :)

Jason and Shannon Ewing said...

Isn't it nice to know that you r going to be completely irreplaceable?

Yangster said...

hahhaha see, it was funny to blog about worker girl. You'll get through it. I'm glad things are going well though. count down til when you leave. **tear**

katieg said...

You are already thinking like a teacher having those handy dandy lysol wipes. After the first few weeks, you get use to having to repeat yourself. It becomes natural and you say stuff in threes or fours all the time.

Rebecca Foster said...

She is an outbreak monkey!

I am so glad you found a place to live. I remember when I had that feeling, and it was living with you! I hope your new living situation is just as wonderful as mine was. :)