Monday, February 2, 2009

An unlikely gentleman

Chivalry is not dead. When I got on the tram this morning, it was standing room only. People continued to pile in, so everyone kept squeezing closer and closer together. As I took off my backpack to put it on the floor, a young guy (about 21 years old) looked up and offered me his seat. My first instinct was to decline, but I realized I should be supporting that kind of behavior. Plus, I really didn't want to hold onto that germ-infested bar anymore. That simple act really impressed me. It’s not often that a young guy (especially outside of our Church) does something like that. It really made my day. So thank you to the sweet college boy who gave up his seat for me. And thank you to all of you gentlemen who make it a habit to respect and honor women with those simple acts of kindness, such as holding doors open and giving up your seat on a crowded bus. I appreciate you!

6 comments:

Kayla said...

I don't know if you've had this experience but I know I have found more guys like that outside the church than inside the church. But how amazing that is at how he was kind enough to give up his seat for you!!! That is so cute!

Elise said...

You gotta love the Southern men!! After I left Texas I began to really understand what "southern hospitality" meant...and I dearly miss it! I also realized that I had been SO blessed to know great guys with manners- AND that I should expect that kind of treatment. I really think in the south the men are taught Manners! :) So glad you took the seat- I agree- we have to encourage that kind of behavior!!

katieg said...

I think that guy should come and teach my kiddos about chivalry and manners and all that jazz. I try to teach the boys to offer up their seats to the girls, but they just role their eyes and sigh.

Chrissy said...

My microbiology professor my sophomore of college ran from his desk and pulled my chair out for me when I walked into class one day and said 'Chivalry is NOT dead!'. It was quite adorable.

Rebecca Foster said...

Awww...how sweet!

Alexa said...

Rebecca, I need your new e-mail address! I just realize your SwRI one is no good!