Sunday, May 3, 2009

R.A.D.

Last month I took a self-defense course called R.A.D. (Rape Aggression Defense System). Some Universities offer this program free of charge, but it's quite affordable if you're not so lucky. This isn't like other self-defense classes that teach strange techniques you probably won't remember if you ever needed to use them. They teach practical self-defense and provide opportunities for you to practice it. In addition, the one time course fee ($25) is good for a lifetime; after completing the course, you can attend any future session free of charge to refresh your skills. It's fantastic! I felt empowered after attending this class, and I highly recommend each of you ladies find a program in your area and enroll (they offer a different class for men, if any of you guys are interested).



I found this picture on the R.A.D. website. This is the gear the students and "fake attacker" wear in the simulations. I was pretty frightened knowing I was going to be attacked (even though it was fake), but I feel good now knowing I can protect myself. Click here to find a program in your area and sign up.

2 comments:

Rebecca Foster said...

Awesome! I will have to look for a class when I return to the U.S.

JennieB said...

I did that too! Except I took it at BYU and the BYU women's volleyball team was in my class, and they are BIG and STRONG!