Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Things that have been on my mind lately...

Why do companies suddenly decide to stop selling the ONE product you are attached to? Last year, my favorite toothbrush was discontinued. It wasn't anything fancy - just a simple, inexpensive, but very effective toothbrush. I still haven't found a replacement that works as well and fits to my teeth as perfectly as that one did. Sad day. At least I still had my favorite toothpaste, though. But guess what?! That, too, has been snatched from me. Over the past few weeks, I've searched all over San Marcos, as well as a few places in San Antonio; it's nowhere to be found! I now have three different types of toothpaste in my medicine cabinet, all of which either tear my mouth apart or taste gross...or both. This might seem weird to you, but I take oral hygiene very seriously. I'm so aggravated.

I wonder why I feel the need to constantly update my Facebook status. I'm such a private person, so why must I tell hundreds of people my innermost thoughts and feelings? It's not like I want to explain it to any of them. In fact, I usually don't want anyone to know what I really mean; I just need to write it down for some reason. It's really weird. Sometimes I even target my status to a specific person, assuming he'll see it and wonder if it's about him. How dumb is that? Also, I secretly get annoyed at people who don't update their status regularly. Especially people who have been on Facebook multiple times since their last update. And get this: When I'm out doing stuff around town or at school, I often think to myself: "That would be a funny status update." What is wrong with me?! I'm hooked on the "what's on your mind?" box.

Isn't it annoying when you take your car to the Wal-Mart "Quick Lube" and they tell you there's a two-hour wait... so you wander aimlessly around the store looking at stupid things you don't need, spending money you don't have for two painful hours before finally going to see if your car is ready... only to see on the receipt that they finished the job 20 minutes after you dropped it off? No phone call, no intercom page, no nothing. That's annoying. I hate Wal-Mart.

How come your car will make awkward noises for months, only to stop the day you actually get around to taking it to the shop? How does that even make sense?!

Why when you're thinking about someone you want to get over does he post a comment on your Facebook profile or leave you a cute voicemail? It's really annoying and not helpful. Or better yet: You get a notification that he posted something on your wall, only to find that he deleted it before you could even read it, which, of course, leaves you wondering what he had to say and why he didn't just leave it there. That's even more annoying. (Can you tell I'm checking Facebook while writing this blog? True story. Just happened.)

Speaking of which, do you agree with this article? I'm just curious. Maybe my problem is that I'm trying to stay friends with this guy (not an ex-boyfriend, just someone I dated for a while and am clearly still crazy about). Should I just delete him from my life? How do I go about doing that? I'm not sure I'm strong enough. Any thoughts?

Here I go again, spewing the contents of my brain/heart for all the world to see. I guess that's why I called this blog "You Read My Mind." After all, what is a blog good for if not to spill your every thought, doubt, fear, etc.? This is me, world. Take it or leave it.

Until next time...

5 comments:

Kayla said...

Aww Becca!!! I miss you so much...do you still have that message I sent you on facebook when we talked about the friend situation? Read that again if you do...if not, I'll send you another one. It takes time and it's hard to let go, but I know if you trust in the Lord and ask Him how to let go, He will put things or people in your life who will help you get to the point where you can let go. The Lord will provide a way for you to get through this and you will be so much stronger when you do come through this!! I love you girl!

Alexa said...

Several things:

- I think LOTS of people feel an attachment to their toothpaste and don't like switching. So, you're not alone there. :)

- That's precisely why I'm holding off as long as possibly getting a FB account! I think it'll be pretty much unavoidable at some point, though.

- I think I do agree with that article. From what I've seen, it seems like cutting off all contact makes for a cleaner break/quicker recovery, but it is hard to do.

Brittany said...

I love the voice behind your blog. I'm rarely bold enough to share all my opinions, thoughts, and fears, I guess I save that for my journal, my husband or my own head :)

I love that you take oral hygiene seriously. After getting sick of having a cavity, or the start of one, every time I went to the dentist I started getting more conscious and have begun flossing daily, brushing at least twice and using mouth wash. I'm having less tooth problems now! And I prefer Crest, myself.

Hope you're enjoying San Marcos!

Shelly Linford said...

Becca-
I love reading your blog. I have learned so much about you. I have to admit that I do weird things when I am trying to get over someone too.

Rebecca Foster said...

Oh my gosh!! I just realized somehow I lost you on my list of blogs I follow. I have no idea how that happened! I thought you just hadn't posted for a really long time, that's why you never came to to the top of my list. And I was coming to leave a message to ask you to post again, and here you are! Boy, do I feel stupid. And sad I missed so many posts. :(

All I can say is: WORD. And now I have the urge to go check your facebook wall for cute posts to see who this mystery man is. :)

My students and I had a class discussion about staying friends with your ex. They all think it's a bad idea. So, from my Chinese students to you: cut him out of your life, at least for now, and only let him back in when you don't care anymore. If you can pull this off, let me know how you did it!!!

xoxo