Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Leaving our nets

Have you ever told someone to call you if they ever needed anything?  Sure you have.  I can't tell you how often I've used that phrase in my lifetime: To new church members, to family members, to coworkers, to the sisters I visit teach, etc.  It's one of those polite things people say but that nobody pays much attention to, like "How are you?" Never once has someone taken me up on my offer to help if they ever needed anything.  Not until tonight, that is. I answered a call from an unknown number and was shocked to hear the voice on the other end.  It was someone I've spent a very limited amount of time with but who recently cut me out of her life (even though I was hardly a part of her life to begin with) because she "needed a break" from all things church-related.  That's why I was so surprised to receive her call.  I was especially surprised when she said, "I remember you saying I could always call if I needed anything. I feel really bad asking for your help, but I need it."

Wow!  She called ME.  I hesitated at first because her request was somewhat inconvenient and I didn't know how to manage it around my school schedule.  Then I realized something.  In life we are given rare opportunities to prove what we're made of, and we have to be careful not to let those moments pass us by.  Do I want to be that person who worries more about how *I* will be inconvenienced, rather than about helping a friend in need?  Or do I want to be the one who tosses her nets aside and acts?  We need to take advantage of these small opportunities, regardless of whether or not they fit conveniently into our busy schedules.  Maybe this is my moment to prove that I'm not quite as selfish as I think I am.  Maybe this is my chance to make a difference in somebody's life who is really struggling right now.  Who knows?  There's a good chance I'll never hear from this girl again after I do this favor. That doesn't really matter. What matters is that I chose to respond when the call was made.

Will you do the same?

3 comments:

katieg said...

Thank you for this post. I learned something and it has got me thinking about a couple of things.

Rebex said...

Sometimes I wonder if my random thoughts mean anything to anyone else. I'm glad it got you thinking, Katie. :)

Shelly said...

You are pretty much awesome!!