Monday, November 24, 2008

Memory Lane

One of my favorite things about the holidays is that we always sit around telling funny stories from our childhood. Here are some amusing (to me, at least) highlights from my early years:
  • Ignoring the “No Trespassing” sign to go play in the river and jump off the mini waterfall
  • My friend Suzy getting too close to the waterfall and falling through the ice (fortunately, she was fine and only lost a shoe)
  • Camping under the railroad tracks by the river (Why on earth did my mother let us do that?!)
  • Sledding/skiing down the metal roof of the little shack by our house
  • Rummaging through the shack, trying to find hidden treasures (I still have a newspaper I found from 1918)
  • Packing up my favorite clothes and running away to the shack… then getting bored and going home a few hours later when I realized my mom probably wouldn’t notice I was gone anyway
  • Melting icicles on the wood stove when our mom wasn’t looking (she hated when we did that)
  • Sitting on the wood stove when we were really cold (ruined a few snowsuits that way)
  • Trying to build an igloo in our front yard
  • Pretending to have an invisible friend so my little sister would be jealous (and she WAS)
  • Doing flips off the top bunk
  • The creative fun we had whenever the power went out (Sarah and Rachel, do you remember “Ooga Booga”? LOL!)
  • Going to work with Mom and running around the doctor’s office while she typed (she worked nights doing medical transcription)
  • Spending a month in San Francisco with my friend and her supposed grandmother when I was only 10 years old: Wandering the streets by ourselves each day, getting chased by a crazy man, playing in a Catholic church (probably shouldn’t have done that), working in the flower shop… (Again, what was my mother thinking?!)
  • Collecting snakes, tadpoles, frogs, crawdads, etc. for our wading pool
What are some of your favorite memories?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know - I will have to get back to you on that.... wow - you were kinda mischievous when you were younger... LOL weren't we all... :)

Yangster said...

wow Bex, I'd never have thought your childhood was like that. Running around SF when u were 10? That is crazy. I can barely do that now for fear of everyhing. My family and I do the same thing and I love going down memory lane cause they always remember things I don't. I also have huge family so it's very interesting. We also had a railroad track that my mom let my sisters rome all day at. I've question so many things my mom let us do. It's weird to imagine you as a kid.

Chrissy said...

Let's see...

My sister and I used to put on dance programs for the family and we would make them sit and watch. We choreographed like FIVE different dances! One in particular, was a duet for a boy and a girl. Guess who was the boy. I even stuffed a sock in my leotard to make it more believable.