Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Things you ought'a know

The other day when Yangster and I were talking, I casually mentioned something about my dad passing away. She was taken aback because apparently we had never had this conversation before. I felt silly because that's obviously a big part of who I am today. I've been pondering this ever since. Why do I find it so difficult to share personal things with the people I care the most about? At what point in a friendship do I truly let my full self be known? Have I ever let my full self be known? To anyone?

So...in light of this, I've decided to compile a random list of things you ought to know about me. These aren't deep, dark secrets or anything (it'll take a while for me to be that comfortable), but maybe it'll give you a little insight into who I am.

Things you ought'a know about me:

  • I love, love, LOVE this song... like, more than any other song on the planet. It's been my absolute favorite since I first saw Karate Kid II as a little girl. Whenever I hear it, my heart swells, and I'm taken away to another place. I just love it.
  • I hate the smell of men's cologne (less is more!), bacon & eggs, and rose-scented perfume/lotion/soap.
  • I love the smell of lilacs, freshly mowed grass, rain, dryer vent air, and freshly bathed babies (gotta love that baby lotion).
  • I believe people are generally good.
  • I hate eating on a first date (or second, or third...).
  • My "language" for showing love is through service. So...please let me take care of your fish while you're out of town...or pick you up from the airport even though your flight arrives at 1 AM on a weeknight...or wash the dishes/clean the bathroom/cook dinner for you...or even just sit with you when you're too sad to talk.
  • I never sing in the shower.
  • I LOVE "reality" TV shows.
  • I love hugs (not the candy...white chocolate = gross)!
Well...I'm out of time, so that's all you get for now.

13 comments:

Alexa said...

Hooray for sharing more about YOU! BTW, I dig all the same smells you do, except perhaps dryer-vent smell, although I have nothing really against it, per se. I just love ya, Rebecca!

Trin said...

Love it becca! thanks for sharing :) and i guess i never knew about your dad either...love your example of service, you are truly an inspiration!

Jason and Shannon Ewing said...

Hey, can i take you up on the bathroom service? Just Kidding!! I'm glad to know I was once one of the few you felt comfortable sharing stuff with. Good luck on your new venture.

katieg said...

Those are some good things to keep in mind. Thanks for sharing!

Jeremy and Brigitte said...

Maybe its because we grew up in the same town, or that you have a lot in common with Sarah...but I'm happy to say I did know most of those things. Sarah doesn't like the smell of bacon either. She always got mad at me for making it in college. She said it makes her hair stink. I LOVE IT.

Jeremy and Brigitte said...

OH and I forgot to say. I am happy to know someone else likes the dryer vent smell too!

KarenR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KarenR said...

who'd have thought...a closet Peter Cetera fan!!! I park my car right beside 4 commercial dryer vents at the condo laundry room...secretly I try to get the "freshness" in the car...

Chrissy said...

Rain, freshly cut grass, and soil are probably my three favorite smells.

BUT, I do like cologne. :)

Zach O. said...

i just remembered i meant to comment on this post. when i was a kid i loved that song from karate kid. i especially liked " like a knight in shining armor,from a long time ago...take you to my castle far away"

Yangster said...

man how did i forget about this blog? i've been on a youtube roll and blogging has taken a back seat. i love knowing more about you. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell of laundered clothing. I also love that song. i had to listen to it all over again. memories of youth. yes. and I do love and appreciate how service oriented you are. thanks so much for being you and sharing.

Rebecca Foster said...

Cute list!

I know what you mean about sharing things. It seems I am always questioning my boundaries. I'd finally starting to learn to be okay with it, but I always wonder if they are weird.

Paige said...

Hey Becca, come love me some service at my house! I had a link to a different blog of yours and then facebook stalked you and found this one. So you really like Texas State all that much? Are you working or just going the school route or what? I too love the smell of the dryer. It's refreshing.