Thursday, August 27, 2009

Forget about maybe

I adore Ingrid Michaelson, as many of you already know, so I was excited to see her latest video, Maybe, on YouTube a few minutes ago. Adoration aside, I’m not really sure what to think about the song (you can read the lyrics here).

Part of me loves it because I can totally relate to the whole mentality of "pining away" for someone and hoping they'll eventually come back to you. The other part of me hates it…for the same reasons I like it, actually. I guess it hits too close to home. Why do we do this to ourselves? Seriously, why give someone up if you don't want them to leave? Shouldn't we be fighting to keep them in our lives? And when we do decide to say goodbye, shouldn't that be the end of it? Why torture ourselves with all of those maybes?

It's unhealthy to hold onto the hope that someday that person will come around and realize how wonderful you are and how much they need you in their life. If they don't recognize it now, chances are they won't six months or even five years from now. All of those thoughts of "maybe you're gonna come back" are just a waste of time and energy. Forget about that misguided proverb of setting something free and waiting for it to come back. That's a load of crock, if you ask me. I say you should let it go, walk away, lock your door, and move on.

The end

2 comments:

Trin said...

aw bex. thank you for sharing. cuz know i officially love that song. and i know somewhat, maybe just a teensy bit, of how you feel :)
its prob the worst feeling, not being able to let go of someone. so seriously thanks for sharing. love you!!!!!!! :)

Golf Ball Eyes Grandma Smurf :-) said...

But babe, sometimes you have to get out side a situation in order to appreciate it. Haven't you ever regretted leaving something you love but were not so happy with in the moment. I know I have. I'm just saying ... maybe hoping isn't going to help but with hope comes faith and faith in a true love... I just think that sounds romantic in some ways ...